Loading...
8.3.A. PRSR 05-10 2006Item # 8.3.A. ver MEMORANDUM TO: Parks and Recreation Commission FROM: Bill Maertz, Parks and Recreation Director DATE: May 10, 2006 SUBJECT: Agreement to Maintain Babcock Memorial Park ITEM: Recommendation to City Council that the City of Elk River assume maintenance of Babcock Memorial Park. DISCUSSION: Babcock Memorial Park was designed by prominent landscape Architect A. R. Nichols in 1938 and was constructed by the National Youth Administration. The Department of Transportation has decided that it is no longer going to maintain Babcock Memorial Park. Their intention is to eliminate all maintenance and close off the pazking area. Staff has had conversations with MnDOT staff about the possibility of the City assuming maintenance and operation of the pazk. The city would operate and maintain Babcock Park as a city pazk. A large city park sign would be located near the entrance along Highway 10. Staff has requested that MnDOT remove the restrooms. Staff believes that the historic significance of the pazk as well as the river access make it a valuable asset that should remain open for public use. A trail link to Rivers Edge Commons is highly desirable. FINANCIAL IMPLICATIONS: Portable restroom $450 per year Grounds maintenance approximately $1,200 per yeaz Restoration of historic stone features -staff would pursue grants to help pay for restoration ACTION REQUESTED Recommendation to City Council that the City of Elk River assume maintenance of Babcock Memorial Park. ATTACHMENTS: Draft agreement Site plan Photo of shelter Inventory of structures Recommendations on preservation STATE OF MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION LIMITED USE PERMIT FOR BABCOCK MEMORIAL PARK REST AREA GRANTED TO THE CITY OF ELK RIVER C.S.: 7101 County: Sherburne In accordance with Minnesota Statutes Section 161.434, this Limited Use Permit is hereby granted to the City of Elk River (hereinafter called the Permittee). This permit authorizes the Permittee to operate, maintain, and supervise a park within the Babcock Memorial Pazk Rest Area (hereinafter called Site) and any features listed below in accordance with the "Special Provisions" set forth herein. The Site is located within the right of way of Trunk Highway No 10 as shown in yellow on Exhibit "A", which is attached hereto and incorporated herein by reference. This permit is executed by the Permittee pursuant to the attached resolution. The Permittee's use of the Site must be in strict accordance with the following: SPECIAL PROVISIONS 1. Mn/DOT will: a. Demolish and remove the rest room building. b. Retain all other site features. c. Remove the advance highway rest azea sign and replace it with an advance park sign. 2. The Permittee will: a. Operate the Site as a pazk, including the following features: • 2 picnic shelters 8 fireplaces (6 metal; 2 stone council rings) • 1 display unit 1 stone interpretive mazker • 9 picnic tables (6 wooden; 3 stone) 1 water pump b. Install portable toilet(s) that aze operated seasonally. 3. This permit is granted solely for the purpose of operating and maintaining the Site in accordance with Minnesota Statutes chanter 86A and other applicable laws. This permit does not authorize the Permittee to construct any permanent buildings as specifically prohibited by Minnesota Statutes Sec. 161.434. Any changes to this permit must be approved by the Minnesota Depaztment of Transportation (Mn/DOT) District Engineer. 4. If conditions change and the Permittee deems it desirable to operate vending at the Site, the Permittee must comply with Minnesota Statutes 160.273 and if the Permittee contracts for custodial services at the Site it must comply with Minnesota Statutes 160.282. 5. The Permittee will operate and maintain [he Si[e seasonally, keeping it open and operab]e for public use in accordance with applicable laws. The Permittee accepts responsibility for all ongoing maintenance, repairs, and upkeep to operate and maintain, or improve the current Site conditions at the property. The Permittee will operate the Site in a safe, sanitazy manner that reflects an image that the property is being actively maintained as a public resource. 6. The Permittee accepts responsibility for the Site within the limits identified in the Exhibits. The Permittee must provide any and all Site maintenance, including, but not limited to, mowing, vegetation management, litter removal, plowing and snow removal, cleaning building and site furniture, maintenance and repair, road maintenance, and management of structures and elements. 7. The Permittee relieves Mn/DOT of all Site operations, maintenance, and supervision responsibilities and associated costs. 8. The Permittee will maintain the site so the any changes made to [he three stone picnic tables, two stone council rings, and water pump, which were designed by prominent landscape architect A. R. Nichols and built by the National Youth Administration in 1938, aze in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards far the Treatment of Historic Properties with Guidelines for the Treatment of Cultural Landscapes Page 1 of 3 (http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/hli/introeuid.htm). These features have local historic significance. See Exhibit B (Inventory and Comments and Recommendations) for background. 9. This permit is non-exclusive and is granted subject [o the rights of others, including, but not limited to public utilities, which may occupy [he State's right of way. 10. The Permittee must preserve and protect all utilities located on the lands covered by this permit at no expense to Mn/DOT. The Permittee accepts responsibility to call [he Gopher State One Call System a[ 1-800-252-1166 at least 48 hours before performing any excavation at the Si[e. 11. This permit does not release the Permittee from any liability or obligation imposed by federal law, Minnesota Statutes, local ordinances, or other agency regulations relating thereto and any necessary permits relating thereto shall be applied for and obtained by the Permittee. 12. Any use permitted by this permit must remain subordinate to the right of Mn/DOT to use the property for highway and transportation purposes. This permit does not grant any interest whatsoever in land, nor does it establish a permanent pazk, recreation area or wildlife or waterfowl refuge facility that would become subject to Section 4 (f) of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1968. 13. Mn/DOT may terminate this permit, with or without cause, by giving the Permittee 90 days written nofice of such intent. The Permit[ee must, upon cancellation of said permit, or any portion thereof, return and restore [he azea to a condition satisfactory [o Mn/DOT and a[ no cos[ [o Mn/DOT. 14. The Permittee, for itself, its successors, and assigns, agrees to abide by the provisions of Title VI Appendix C of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which provides in pat[ that no person in [he United States, must on [he grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from, or denied use of any portion of the rest azea. 15. The Permittee must not place or permit construction of any advertising device(s) in any manner, form, or size upon the State of Minnesota right of way, as specifically prohibited by Minnesota Statutes Section 161.434 and 23 C.F.R. 652. 16. The Permittee shall hold harmless and indemnify the State of Minnesota, its Commissioner of Transportation and employees and its successors and assigns, from liability claims for damages because of bodily injury, death, property damage, sickness, disease, or loss and expense azising from the operations of the Site Features or from the use of the portion of highway right of way over which this permit is granted. 17. The State of Minnesota, through its Commissioner of Transportation, will retain the right to limit and/or restrict the parking of vehicles and assemblage of Site users on the highway right of way over which this permit is granted, so as to maintain the safety of both the motoring public and Site users. 18. The Permittee must not relocate, alter, or restrict the existing ingress from or egress to the Site from the trunk highway without the written approval of Mn/DOT. Permittee acknowledges that construction and maintenance work on the trunk highway may occasionally restrict access to the Site or make such access difficult. Mn/DOT does not guazantee that the trunk highway will be perpetuated in its current location and alignment, and the Permittee understands that changes in alignment or access control may adversely affect the Site. 19. No assignment of the permit is allowed. 20. The Permittee must not dispose of any materials regulated by any governmental or regulatory agency onto the ground, or into any body of water, or into any container on the State's right of way. In the event of spillage of regulated materials, the Permittee must provide for cleanup of the spilled material and of materials contaminated by the spillage in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, at the sole expense of the Permittee. Page 2 of 3 MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT CITY OF ELK RIVER OF TRANSPORTATION RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL By: By: District Engineer APPROVED BY: COMMISSIONER OF TRANSPORTATION Date By: Director, Office of Land Management The Commissioner of Transportation by the execution of this permit certifies that this permit is necessary in the public interest and that the use intended is for public purposes. Its Its Page 3 of 3 COMMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS SH-ERC-o2s Prep by Gemini Research 12/30/03 Babcock Memorial Park Comments and Recommendations For Sites in the Mn/DOT Historic Roadside Development Inventory That are Ineligible for the National Register Brief comments and recommendations were prepared for each property in the Mn/DOT Historic Roadside Development Inventory that was evaluated as being ineligible for the National Register of Historic Places. This information is intended to help Mn/DOT make short- and long-term management decisions regarding the properties. In developing these comments, Gemini Research considered such questions as: Might the site be eligible far the National Register in the future? Are there structures that have such historic or aesthetic value that they are worthy of preservation despite the alterations that have occurred to the site? Could alterations be reversed so that the site becomes National Register-eligible? Is the site part of a series or collection that might affect management recommendations? Is the site or setting particularly scenic or an historically important place? Comments Babcock Memorial Park was recommended ineligible for the National Register due to loss of integrity. Based on plans by A. R. Nichols, it was built in 1938-1939 with NYA labor. Several changes were made to the site in the early 1970s. Today the rest area has elements of its original design as well as modern structures and landscape elements. The site is a comfortable public facility on the bank of the Mississippi River within Elk River. The historic stone features include two council rings, which are rare in Minnesota, and three very unusual stone picnic table sets, which are also rare. The picnic table sets closely resemble tables built in Nichols- designed rest areas along TH 100 west of Minneapolis. Recommendations We recommend that all pre-1960 structures and other landscape features remaining on the site be preserved. Historic plans and photos should be consulted so that the original design intent can be understood as completely as possible. We recommend that the three stone picnic tables and two council rings be immediately repaired. All repairs should use proper methods, mortar type and color, and joint treatment so that the design and craftsmanship of the stonework is preserved. We recommend that the three stone picnic tables and two council rings be protected from embellishment or modernization in the future. Modern improvements should be kept physically away from these structures so that the historic elements can be experienced without distraction from modern materials. We recommend that future land use and planting at the site take into consideration the original design intent. We recommend that an interpretive plaque be installed that describes the original development of the rest area. It should be sensitively designed and sited. MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY SH-ERC-028 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park Historic Name Other Name Babcock Memorial Park Babcock Wayside CS # SHPO Inv # 7101 SH-ERC-028 Location Cit /Town hi W side of TH 10 just N of TH 101 bridge over Mississippi Elk R Hwy District Reference TH 10 36 214.7 y s p iver, City of County Twp Rng Sec USGS Quad Sherburne 32N 26W Sec 03 Elk Ri Acres Rest Area Class 15.75 2 ver UTM Z75 E456230 N5015250 SP # 10-3-58-B 7101-02 Designer Nichols, A R, Consult Land Arch 7101-06 Builder National Youth Administration (NYA) SHPO Review # 98-1869 Historic Use Present Use Roadside Parking Area Roadside Parking Area MHS Photo # 013505.07 013508.12-24 Yr of Landscape Design 1938-39 MnDOT Historic Ols 3.144 Ols 3.745 Photo Album Ols 3.146 Overall Site Integrity Moderately Altered Review Required Yes National Register Status Not Eligible, see Statement of Significance Historic Context List of Standing Structures Feat# Feature Type ~ Year Built 01 Council Ring 1938 02 Council Ring 1g3g 03 Picnic Tablelsl, Stone 1938 04 Well/Pump 1938 05 Picnic Shelterls) 1972 O6 Restroom Bldg 1972 07 Info Board 1972 NOTE: Landscape features are not listed in this table Fieldwork Date 10-31-96 Prep by Gemini Research Dec. 98 G1.3 Prep for Site Development Unit Cultural Resources Unit Environmental Studies Unit Final Report Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways (19981 Y .~ 'a" U q .~ G d a V1 .U. d •+ .C .~ H a m .~ 0 6 Q~ p o '~ .o ~s WW Iq .4 p+ y r .~ N V Q r Q .~ MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT SH-ERC-028 STRUCTURES INVENTORY CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park ^ BRIEF Babcock Memorial Park is a 15.75-acre site that is located on the western side of T.H. 10, within the city of Elk River, on the northern side of the T.H. 101 bridge that crosses the Mississippi. The park is located on the eastern bank of the river. ^ STANDING STRUCTURES Council Ring A and Council Ring B. Erected 1938 by the NYA. The original plan specifies two council rings, both extant. They are built of mortared river boulders. Most of the rocks are pieces of pink, gray, red, and black granite that are football-. to watermelon-sized. The rings are about 23' in overall diameter. Their walls are about 18" wide and 1' to 1'8" high (the height varies with the terrain). Each ring has an entrance opening on the eastern side. Each ring encloses a grassy area, at the center of which is a circular stone fire ring that is about 6' in outside diameter. Both council rings are missing several stones and need repair. Stone Picnic Tables. Erected 1938 by the NYA. The original plan specifies 14 picnic tables arranged in pairs with a picnic fireplace located near each pair. Some of these picnic tables were apparently portable wooden tables. There are currently three stone picnic tables with benches. Each set rests on a poured concrete base. The structures are made of tan, roughly-cut, limestone. The sets are about 5'6" in length, 6' in overall width, and 2'10" in height (to the top of the tables). One of the sets is complete, one is missing the eastern bench, and one is missing the table top and the western bench. All stone fireplaces have been removed. Pump. Erected 1938 by the NYA. The park includes a hand pump on a 9'-square poured concrete pad. Picnic She/tern. Erected ca. 1972 by Mn/DOT. The site has two picnic shelters that have gabled roofs supported by timber posts. The shelters stand on poured concrete pads. Restroom Bui/ding. Erected ca. 1972 by Mn/DOT. There is a concrete block restroom building located west of the parking area. A concrete sidewalk links the building to the asphalt-paved parking lot. /nformafion Board. Erected ca. 1972 by Mn/DOT. Agable-roofed woodframe information board is located on the concrete sidewalk just east of the restroom building. ^ OTHER LANDSCAPE FEATURES AND PLANTINGS The site is located several feet below the grade of T.H. 10 and has a somewhat secluded feel and relatively flat topography. The original plan specified (or suggested) a kittenball (also known as softball) field to be located southeast of the original parking area, and a small children's playground to be located east of the southern council ring. The original plan shows the park ending at the drainage ditch south of the southern council ring. 2 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEV~OPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY SH-ERG028 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park The site's original access road entered the park east of the current restroom building and entered a rectangular parking area. In circa 1970, the T.H. 10 alignment was shifted westward and the park lost a fair amount of land. In circa 1972, the asphalt-paved entrance drive was reconstructed so that it entered the site at its northern end and then widened into the current long, paved parking area. From the southern end of this parking area, a gravel road was built southward through the park and over the drainage ditch. A new gravel parking area (with two grassy curb-lined islands) and a boat launching ramp were built at the park's southern edge Qust north of the T.H. 101 bridge). The drainage ditch (apparently the original site of a timber footbridge) is now edged with cut log stops and granite riprapping. The park also includes about six metal picnic grills on metal poles and several recent portable wooden and metal picnic tables. Most of the site is planted with grass. There are widely spaced ash and oak trees planted east of the parking area against the grassy T.H . 10 ditch. There are ash, maple, and linden trees spaced about 20' apart in the grassy pic nic area along the river, west of the parking area. The river bank is lined with overgrown brush and small trees and an area of gently sloping grassy lawn . Historic photos indicate that the site was originally shaded by many tall elms. The original plans made use of the natural forest. A 1939 planting plan also specifies 15 Green Ash, 20 Weeping Willow, and 30 American Elm to be planted at the site. A 1972 planting plan specifies the planting of 18 Silver Maples, 40 White Ash, 10 Red Maple, 8 American Linden, 12 Sugar Maple, and 12 Siberian Elm. ^ SETTING The site is located within the city of Elk River. It is a long, narrow parcel located between the Mississippi River and T.H. 10, which runs north and south, parallel with the river. The site is bounded by T.H. 10 on the east, the T.H. 101 bridge on the south, and the Mississippi River on the west. The United Power Company plant and various commercial structures are located across T.H. 10 to the east. ^ INTEGRITY Alterations The site appears to have been built fairly close to plan. While the park retains several early stone structures, its landscapes have been altered. T.H. 10 has been moved westward circa 1970, cutting into the park's acreage. The original entrance road and parking area have been replaced by the current entrance road and much larger parking area circa 1972. Two gable-roofed picnic shelters, a concrete block restroom building, agable-roofed information board, and the southern parking lot and boat launch were all added to the site circa 1972. New plantings were added circa 1972. Several picnic tables, 7 picnic fireplaces (apparently stone), and a timber footbridge have been removed. In addition, a marker built by the NYA (probably a rectangular timber sign) has apparently been removed. 3 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY A geological marker was added to the site in 1953 information board. It has since been removed. SH-ERC-026 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park It was located near the current The property retains integrity of location, setting, and association. However, its integrity of design, materials, workmanship, and feeling has been compromised by the loss of park acreage, the reconstruction of the entrance road and parking area, the construction of a restroom building, picnic shelters, information board, and southern parking area, and the loss of stone picnic fireplaces and a timber footbridge. While the historic council rings and picnic tables are relatively unaltered, the property's overall landscape design has been changed considerably. Notes on Condition The stone council rings both need repair and are missing several stones. The limestone picnic tables also need repair -- one of the sets is complete, one is missing the eastern bench, and one is missing the table top and the western bench. ^ HISTORICAL BACKGROUND Babcock Memorial Park was constructed in 1938-1939 by the National Youth Administration (NYA) in cooperation with the Minnesota Department of Highways and the Babcock Memorial Committee. Overseeing the project for the NYA were John J. Tessari of St. Paul, state supervisor of work projects; John Sullivan of St. Cloud, NYA supervisor; Larry Reider of St. Cloud, area NYA supervisor, and Parker Dragoo of St. Cloud, project foreman. The NYA received an allocation of $5,000 for the six-month period of January to June, 1938, to develop the land for the park. Approximately 35 young men from Elk River and the surrounding area worked as part-time employees. Work began in January of 1938 with the NYA crew clearing underbrush and trimming trees. The project was announced in the January 20, 1938, issue of the Sherburne County Star News: Elk River is to have a large and attractive roadside park along the Mississippi River east of town, to be known as the Babcock Memorial Park. The park will be developed along rustic lines, with trails, stone picnic tables, fireplaces, rustic footbridges and other improvements. Native split stones will be used in the work and the whole scheme will blend in to the natural beauty of the scenery, with the small brook running through the park being used to good advantage (Sherburne County Star News, Jan. 20, 1938). By the end of the project in November 1938, the NYA had constructed a small marker (probably wooden), foot trails, council rings, fireplaces, a parking area, picnic tables, a rustic footbridge, and a well, besides clearing brush and dead trees. The estimated total cost to the state was $4,965 with the actual state expenditure being $1,295 (Annual Report 1938:28). The original plans were signed by A. R. Nichols (Consulting Landscape Architect), Harold E. Olson (Engineer of Roadside Development Division), A. W. Moulster (District Engineer), and O. L. Kipp (Construction Engineer). The plans are stamped "Final Plans Construction Division NYA Nov. 1. 1938." The Department approved a planting plan in May of 1939 fora 4.5-mile stretch of T.H. 10, including Babcock Memorial Park and the National Grange Historical Marker (located a few miles to the south). The plan was signed by A. R. Nichols and Harold E. Olson, as well as six other Highway Department officials: C. W. Lilly (Engineer of Plans), H. E. Chard 4 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY SH-ERC-028 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park (District Engineer), G. G. Gladman (Engineer of Survey and Design), C. L. Methuen (Assistant Construction Engineer), J. T. Ellison (Chief Engineer), and S. Rex Green (Engineer of Lands and Right-Of-Way). Between 1946 and 1948, the highway department constructed a rustic footbridge of heavy square timbers in Babcock Memorial Park, according to the Biennia/ Report of the Commissioner of Highways of Minnesota from Ju/y 1, 1946 to June 30, 1948 (1948:55). It is not clear where this bridge was located. It may have replaced the original timber footbridge across the drainage ditch near the southern end of the site. The Geological Society of Minnesota erected a marker in the park in 1953. The geological marker was a metal plaque attached to a dolomite pedestal. The marker was removed fairly recently. (See marker text at the end of this document.) Babcock Memorial Park was named to commemorate Charles M. Babcock (1871.1936), who served as Minnesota's first Commissioner of Highways from 1917 to 1933 and who initiated the "Babcock Plan," which established the state trunk highway system. (See Additional Background Information at the end of this document.) ^ PREVIOUS SHPO REVIEWS A Section 106 review was conducted in 1998 in preparation for a Mn/DOT project to construct a new geological marker at the Babcock Memorial Park (SHPO Rev #98-1869). The review occurred while this Mn/DOT Historic Roadside Development SVUCtures Inventory was underway, and a draft version of the inventory form was submitted to the Minnesota Historical Society (MHS) as part of the review. In a letter to Allyson Brooks (Mn/DOT), dated April 27, 1998, Britta L. Bloomberg (MHS) concurred with Inventory's recommendation that the property is not eligible for the National Register (Bloomberg 1998). The documents that chronicle this Section 106 review contain a few items of correspondence. ^ STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE Babcock Memorial Park, built in 1938.1939, is a Rustic style roadside parking area with a complex site design. Babcock is one of only seven properties in this inventory that retain stone picnic tables and one of only eight properties that retain council rings. Babcock is an example of the roadside development work of prominent landscape architect A. R. Nichols. It is one of a group of Depression-era sites that represent the MHD's earliest roadside development facilities, and is one of 19 properties in the inventory that were built by the NYA in partnership with the MHD. This property has been evaluated within the historic context "Roadside Development on Minnesota Trunk Highways, 1920-1960." It is recommended that, despite the factors listed above, Babcock Memorial Park DOES NOT MEET National Register eligibility criteria due to loss of integrity. The study found that, while some structures (such as the council rings and stone picnic tables) are relatively unaltered, the property has lost many site elements and its overall landscape design has been altered considerably. 5 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT SH-ERC-028 STRUCTURES INVENTORY CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park ^ OTHER COMMENTS This property may require further evaluation for potential archaeological resources. T.H. 10 is fairly busy past this site but the site is below the elevation of, and some distance from, the roadway. The stone picnic tables at Babcock match those at four other parks that were inventoried: Blazer Park, Graeser Park, Lilac Park, and St. Louis Park R.P.A. (all on T.H. 100 west of Minneapolis). This portion of T.H. 10 has been designated part of the Great River Road. ^ REFERENCES Anderson, Rolf T. "Federal Relief Construction in Minnesota, 1933.1941." National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form. Oct. 9, 1990; amended Aug. 30, 1993. Annual Report of the Accomplishments of Roadside Deve%pment Along the Trunk Highways in Minnesota. Minnesota Department of Highways. 1938. Astrup, Joni. "Charles Babcock: Solving Local Road Problem Leads to Career Developing Highway System." Sherburne County Star News, Sept. 24, 1985. "Babcock Native of Sherburne County." Sherburne County Star News, July 23, 1931 Biennial Report of the Commissioner of Highways of Minnesota From July 1, 1946 to June 30, 1948. Published Dec. 1, 1948. Blegen, Theodore C. Minnesota: A History of fhe State. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1975. Bloomberg, Britta L. (MHS). Letter to Allyson Brooks (Mn/DOT). Apr. 27, 1998. "Charles M. Babcock Road Commissioner. Governor Burnquist Appointed Local Man to Newly Created State Office Last Week." Sherburne County Star News, April 15, 1917. Clark, James W. "We Owe Our Roads to Charlie Babcock." Minneapo/is Tribune, undated clipping. "Develop Babcock Memorial Park here as National Youth Project." Sherburne County Star News, Jan. 20, 1938. Final Report National Youth Administration for the State of Minnesota: Sept. 1935 to July 1943. U.S. National Youth Administration, Minnesota, 1943. "Former Governor Christianson Eulogizes Memory of Babcock." Sherburne County Star News, Nov. 6, 1947. 6 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY SH-ERC-028 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park Larsen, Arthur J. The Deve/opment of the Minnesota Road System. St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society, 1966. ^ ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND TIXT OF MISSING GEOLOGICAL MARKER Charles M. Babcock Charles M. Babcock (1871-1936) served as Minnesota's Highway Commissioner from 1917 to 1933. Born and raised in Elk River, Babcock attended the University of Minnesota in 1892 where he studied engineering. His education was cut short by the financial panic of 1893 and he returned to EIk River to work at the family's general store. Babcock organized a group of farmers and businessmen to improve the roads in Elk River and, as a result, he was elected as a county commissioner. Babcock's success in developing the county's road program led to his appointment in 1910 to the newly-formed state highway commission that was composed of three members. In 1917, the highway commission was abolished and its duties assumed by the office of the State Highway Commissioner. "It was a foregone conclusion that the new office would be offered to Charles M. Babcock. He had been active in good roads work for so many years, and had acquitted himself so well in his nonsalaried position, that most people seem to have felt that he deserved the place" (Larsen 1966:440). Soon after Babcock was appointed as Minnesota's first highway commissioner in 1917, he developed a plan to improve the state's road system. The local newspaper wrote in 1931: The study of road conditions in Minnesota convinced Mr. Babcock that it was necessary to find a new source of highway revenue. Therefore Mr. Babcock proposed that part of the cost of maintaining the roads and providing for improvements be borne by those who traveled them. His plan for a state system of Vunk highways to be improved and maintained with motor vehicle tax revenue and federal highway aid, is outstanding in the substantial success into which it culminated (Sherburne County Star News, July 23, 1931). The Babcock Plan became an amendment to the state constitution in 1919 and was approved by the voters in 1920. This highway development plan called for improvement to 7,000 miles of roads and the creation of a state trunk highway system of 70 major highways. Additions to the plan in later years included a bond issue that raised additional revenue for highway development, increased car license fees, and instituted a gasoline tax. By 1930, toward the end of Babcock's tenure as commissioner, approximately "1,400 miles of road had been paved, and nearly as many had been given bituminous Vestment. These developments were supported by a succession of governors" (Blegen 1975:484). Elk FPover The Elk River was named for the herds of elk that populated the area. Zebulon Pike christened the river with this name during his journey up the Mississippi in 1805. Two towns developed on the northern and southern banks of the Elk River, Orono on the north, which became known as 'lower town', and Elk River on the southern side. The village of Elk River was platted in 1865, and in 1880 Orono merged with Elk River (the new town was incorporated in 1881). The county seat was moved to Elk River in 1867. 7 MNDOT HISTORIC ROADSIDE DEVELOPMENT STRUCTURES INVENTORY Text of Missing Geological Marker "Geology of Minnesota. Elk River Region. SH-ERC-028 CS 7101 Babcock Memorial Park "The glaciers which covered Minnesota at intervals during the last million years brought with them from Canada thousands of cubic miles of rock debris. The sand, gravel, and granite boulders came chiefly from Ontario to the northeast, the limestone and clay from Manitoba to the northwest. When the ice melted, the transported material -- Glacial Drift -- was dropped to form a mantle of soil over the glaciated area. It is estimated that the fertility of the soil in Minnesota has been increased 30 per cent by glacial action. The glacial deposits in the Elk River region vary in fertility depending upon the proportions of sand, clay and limestone. "The melt waters from the glaciers tended to collect in streams which Flowed away from the ice in a radiating pattern. The Mississippi River at this point is such a stream started during the last or Wisconsin stage of glaciation. "Erected by the Geological Society of Minnesota in cooperation with the Department of Highways State of Minnesota, 1953." 8